Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Induction

I was to due to have this little baby boy 10 days ago. He has decided to stay right where he is. I really wanted to go into labor naturally, but the doctor felt like we should induce, so yesterday I went to the hospital at 8 in the morning. The doctor checked me and found I was at 1 cm and 40% effaced and that the baby was still too high to break my water or strip the membranes, so they started pitocin at 11 a.m. I brought with me the babies final blanket which I was crochetting an edge onto, I felt this would make a good labor project as I didn't have to think too much, but it would stifle the boredom of sitting there while giving me something productive to do and it was for the baby. I had regular contractions that got about three minutes apart and were about a 3 on the pain scale by about 2 p.m. Then I talked to the nurse who said I should be in more pain or else the cervix wouldn't open. She said most of the time they never got past 7 on the pitocin in a woman who had already had a baby and I was at 13 on my fifth child. I asked if the doctor would send me home if nothing was happening and she called and said the doctor would check me at about 5:30 and if nothing was happening I would probably go home and try again another day. By 4 p.m. I had finished the blanket and the contractions had gotten further apart and less painful despite the pitocin being at 15. The doctor checked me and found I was now dilated to 1.5 cm and 50% effaced. We checked out at 6 p.m. and went out to eat. I had joked with Kevin earlier that we could skip the whole thing and go spend the day together somewhere, well we at least went out to dinner, before we got home to thank my mother- and sister-in-law for coming and watching the kids. I feel like I have inconvenienced a lot of people for nothing, but my mother-in-law cleaned our carpets and I finished the blanket, so the day was not totally lost. The baby seems higher than usual and I have little hope of him coming soon. They want to try to induce again next Monday, starting with a pill to soften the cervix first instead of pitocin. Maybe he wants an April birthday.
P.S. did I mention that I am really big.

No comments: